If you run your own business, then you will be well aware of not only how much competition there is for customers but also how key it is to stand out from the crowd. Being able to mark yourself out as unique will help people to remember you from the many other businesses operating in your industry. This is especially true in the modern business age, where it is easy to get lost within the internet search engine crowd.
Differentiation is one of the main reasons that your business will succeed. 50% of new businesses do not make it past their first year, and not showing how they differ from those already there is the main reason. With this in mind, it is clear that being able to stand out in the right way to the public is essential.
Learn to specialize within your sector
One key factor that most businesses fail in here is the compulsion to cover all bases with their marketing. The problem is that the public very often place more trust in businesses that specialize in specific areas as it indicates more expertise within it. When you try to be a jack-of-all-trades, you not only fail to show your expertise but also blend in with all the other businesses that feel the need to do this. In effect, you are not marking your business out as anything different that people should choose.
What other ways can you stand out in business?
As well as learning to be different, there are some other great ways to stand out in business:
- Chalkboard sticker labels – these are great if you are involved in the hospitality sector. Using a small chalkboard sticker, you can customize the labels that you put on any jarred products you sell. This not only helps you to get your brand into the public domain to build your image but also offers a bespoke product that is different to what your competitors have. They are also great at helping to keep your storeroom organized!
- Deliver amazing service – pretty much all businesses know how key this is, but very few take action to make sure that it happens. This is a great opportunity for you though as you will be one of the few who does. Get any staff on board with this so that the service you offer to customers is second to none. This will mark you out from the others in your sector and see more people choose you.
- Change the game – one great way to attract customers and stay ahead of the business pack is to operate in a totally new way to what is currently on offer. Like the dentist chain that offers an almost spa-like experience to patients, think of how you can do things not only differently but also better in an operational sense.
- Offer a special service – this is a no-brainer as if you offer something that none of your competitors do, then you are already different from them. It could be an extra-long product guarantee when a purchase is made, or free next-day delivery. By giving customers something like this, you will be the business that they remember next time.
- Build a positive culture at work – when trying to stand out from everyone else in your industry, the culture that you have within your workplace is key. If you treat staff well and are known to have a positive culture, then they will be extra-motivated to do well. In addition, word will spread in the local community of how you do things in a much better way to build your brand with people organically.
- Do something nice – this works in the same way as creating a positive work culture for staff. The only difference is that you do something nice for your local community, which then helps mark you out as a company that people will remember. It may be putting on an open day for families in your grounds or sponsoring a local charity of football team.
Dare to be different
By now, it should be obvious that being different is not too hard, and learning to focus what you offer to the public is key. The mere act of specializing your service alone will help to make you stand out from all the other general-type businesses out there. If you put a few of the above tips into action, then you will soon begin to see the results that you want.