Autotransformers are the kind of power transformers that have only single isolated winding to step up or step down the voltage. The word auto here doesn’t mean it works automatically, but it signifies the action of the single coil that acts independently. These location de transformateur are perfect to be used in applications that need low voltage.
Applications of autotransformers
- Power applications: these are used in power applications in order to interconnect the systems working at different voltage classes such as 132 kV to 66 kV for transmission. In the long rural power distribution lines, special autotransformers are injected as voltage regulators to receive the same average voltage at the end of the line.
- Audio systems: tapped autotransformers are used to adapt speakers to constant voltage audio distribution system.
- Railway applications: used to link the contact wire to rail and to the second supply conductor to raise the usable transmission length and eradicate interference into outer equipment.
Uses of Autotransformers
- To test a device post repair: after repairing, an electronic appliance requires to power up to make sure that the replaced parts don’t burn. If high voltage is supplied with no testing, the parts burn out. But when using an autotransformer to power up the repaired device slowly, keeps the damage at bay. An old amplifier or a radio can also be powered up in the same way.
- To adjust AC supply voltage: this can be easily done by autotransformers. By altering the AC voltage, speed can be controlled easily. It can also alter the AC voltage in a resistance type heater, hence adjusting its temperature.
- To compensate for the lie voltage drop– long power lines face voltage drop in applications suck out high current. To compensate for this loss of voltage, autotransformers are used.
- To build an unregulated DC power supply of high current, an unregulated DC power supply is created through the autotransformer. But this should only be implemented only if you are acquainted with the safety concerns regarding the usage of autotransformer. They are connected with AC power, deeming AC voltage directly accessible, hence posing a risk of an electric shock.
For the best autotransformers, for purchase or for rent, feel free to get in touch with Surplec today. Explore our lists of services and our blog for such related insights.